Naturopathic Medicine – Overview
NDs (Naturopathic Doctors) are board-certified, and eligible for licensure as physicians in licensed states. They attend medical school at nationally accredited institutions. Because the coursework in natural therapeutics is added to a standard medical curriculum, naturopathic doctors receive significantly more hours of classroom education than graduates of many leading conventional medical schools.
Naturopathic Medicine is a system focusing on the prevention of disease and treatment of the person as a whole, and as such is appropriate for a wide range of health conditions. NDs treat each person by taking into account their unique physical, mental, emotional, and genetic factors.
At Nurturing Natural Medicine, we use the latest, least invasive treatments to provide natural, effective therapies. We work in concert with all other branches of medical science, and will refer patients to other practitioners for diagnosis and treatment when appropriate.
The five basic tenets of Naturopathic Medicine are:
- The Healing Power of Nature – Nature acts powerfully through healing mechanisms in the body and mind to maintain and restore health. Naturopathic physicians work to restore and support these inherent healing systems which they have broken down by using methods, medicines, and techniques that are in harmony with natural processes.
- First Do Not Harm – Naturopathic physicians prefer non-invasive treatments which minimize the risks of harmful side effects. They are trained to know which patients they can treat safely and which ones they need to refer to other health care practitioners.
- Find the Cause – Every illness has an underlying cause, often in aspects of the lifestyle, diet, or habits of the individual. A Naturopathic physician is trained to find and to help the individual remove the underlying cause of the disease.
- Treat the Whole Person – Health and disease come from a complex interaction of physical, mental, emotional, dietary, genetic, environmental, lifestyle, and other factors. Naturopathic physicians can treat the whole person, taking these factors into account.
- Preventive Medicine – The naturopathic approach to healthcare can prevent minor illnesses from developing into more serious or chronic degenerative diseases. Patients are taught the principles with which to live a healthy life. By following these principles they can prevent major illnesses.